Why is this program so important?
According to the latest Pennsylvania Autism Census, the number of adults with autism living in Pennsylvania will increase from 3,800 in 2010 to 10,000 by 2014. As a result there will be a need for
- High-level planning for thousands of children with ASD who will soon transition to adulthood;
- Appropriate housing in order to accommodate the growing population of adults with ASD;
- Cross-systems coordination to maximize resources each service system has to offer;
- Consistent data collection methods to better prepare and strategize for the current and future ASD population; and
- Increased education to assist professionals in their evaluation, diagnosis, education and provision of services to their clients.